See & Do
Masham is located in Lower Wensleydale 8 miles from the A1 and 9 miles northwest of the city of Ripon. This historic Yorkshire Dales market town still holds weekly markets on the central market square, reputably the largest in Yorkshire. Its popular annual Sheep Fair is held in September. Other events include the Midsummer Beer Festival, and the Steam Engine and Fair Organ Rally.
The beautiful countryside around Masham can be explored on foot, mountain bike, or road bike as part of the National Cycle Route. Details of routes are provided in the cottage. The Yorkshire Dales is also a popular destination on motorbike with many scenic roads.
The spa town of Harrogate is 20 miles away to the south and Darlington is 28 miles to the north east. Masham is located at the gateway to the Yorkshire Dales which features other market towns including Leyburn and Hawes.
The shops in Masham are predominately small independents offering a fantastic range of essential goods and gifts. The town has been visited by the Hairy Bikers and has featured in the Dales Programme on ITV.
Just around the corner from the Market Square is the Recreation Ground, with its play park and tennis courts. On the edge of Masham is the beautiful Masham 9 Hole Golf Course.
Going out in Masham there is an enviable selection of thriving pubs which serve food and local brews from the town’s two breweries, Theakston’s and Black Sheep. There are several cafes located around the Market Square offering homemade food. For something a little quicker and more informal, try a takeaway, Fish and Chips.
Visit http://www.visitmasham.com/discover-us/things-to-do/ for further details on life in the thriving town of Masham.
www.dalesdiscoveries.com – full of recommendations from local people on great days out no matter what the weather.
www.yorkshire.com/the-dales-on-itv-1– links to the features shown on the ITV The Dales Programme.
Masham Around and About – – links to the Visit Masham website and tells you about the endless activities/attractions in Masham, you will see why guests keep coming back to Masham once they have discovered this wonderful place.
Welcome to Yorkshire – Award winning film on ‘What makes Yorkshire Special’
Nearby attractions include:
- Fountains Abbey and Studley Royal Deer Park
- Hackfall Woods
- Druids Temple
- Coldstone Cut at Pateley Bridge
- Lightwater Valley
- Newby Hall
- Middleham Castle
- Bolton Castle
- Aerial Extreme
- Nidderdale Llamas
- Thorpe Perrow
- Wensleydale Railway – a fantastic way to see the Dales.
- www.yorkshire.com – Welcome to Yorkshire
- www.yorkshire.com/destinations/harrogate/masham – Masham Pages
- www.yorkshire.com/search – Details of events in the Masham Area
- www.visitmasham.com – Masham Community Office
- http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/visit/places/find-a-place-to-visit?findPlace=Fountains+Abbey+and+Studley+Royal+Water+Garden – National Trust Fountains Abbey
- http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/ – English Heritage Middleham Castle
- www.thenationalbyway.org – National Cycle Routes
- www.nidderdaleaonb.org.uk – Nidderdale Area of Outstanding Beauty
- www.nidderdalellamas.org – Llama Trekking in the Dales
- http://www.thorpperrow.com/index.html – Arboretum near Bedale, cottage guests enjoy discounted access.
- http://www.wensleydalerailway.com/index.html – Enjoy a heritage railway journey through the dales.
Dogs: Yes (£10 extra)
Motorbikes: Secure parking
Mountain Bikes: Lockable Store
Linen and Towels: Yes
Parking: Yes to the front
Short breaks available
Minimum stay: 3 nights